Making sure you’re following through on the work you’ve committed to, is not a sign of an asshole boss. That’s just a boss doing their job. But someone who is disrespectful, makes their sloppiness your problem, or doesn’t appreciate the work at hand, is an asshole boss. What can you do if you find yourself working for someone who fits that description?
We sit down with our CEO for 15 minutes each week, every week to get practical business advice so we can advance in our careers. In this episode, we learn what to do if your boss is an asshole…
- We define an asshole boss as someone who is disrespectful, makes their sloppiness your problem, who won’t jump in the deep end with you when they’re requiring extra work, doesn’t set clear expectations, or appreciate the work at hand
- Sometimes you have to work with an asshole. Business is run by numbers and profits
- Make sure your boss’s expectations are clear
- Just showing up isn’t working
- If your boss continues to have bad behavior, leave the company. And if you leave the company tie everything up with a bow
- And in the words of Lee, “Take the high road as much as you possibly can, even if the air is thin… but don’t take shit.”