You’re in a meeting and a colleague says something offensive. The other people in the room ignore it or laugh it off, but you’re offended. Deeply offended. You’re taken out of the moment and can no longer focus on the task at hand. What’s your next move? And what are the implications of that next move?
We sit down with our CEO for 15 minutes each week, every week to get practical business advice so we can advance in our careers. In this episode, we learn what to do if you’re offended by a coworkers comment…
- Be aware of the fine line between being too offensive and being too sensitive
- When possible, address the issue in private
- Consider taking some time to arrange your thoughts and come to terms with your emotions
- Pecking order matters – if you’re low in the hierarchy consider the repercussions of speaking out
- Be Aware: once you go political on your social channels, it’s hard to go back and it’s interesting to note that while it can lose you business, it can also attract like minded clients